Friday, December 16, 2011

Pound Cake with Gelatin


Started off going to make the Crock-Pot Streusel Pound Cake, but it called for a packaged mix and I decided to make my from scratch.  Plus I did a different topping. After looking through my recipes and wanting to use yogurt in the recipe I came up with. the following:

Yogurt Pound Cake
3 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon soda
¾ cups butter (12 tablespoons or 1 ½ sticks), chill and cubed
2 ¾ cups sugar
6 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon fresh squeeze lemon
Zest of 1 lemon (about ½ teaspoon)
1 cup fresh plain yogurt, if possible home-made
  • Sift together twice: flour, salt, soda, set aside.
  • Put in your mixing bowl and beat butter, until fluffy.
  • Add sugar and beat until creamed well.
  • Add eggs, one at a time and beat some more.
  • Add vanilla and lemon juice, lemon zest.
  • Now put in ½ cup yogurt and ½ of the sifted flour mixture, mix some more.
Batter in the crock.

  • Finally keep mixing and add rest of yogurt and flour mixture.
  • Cream all this together well.
  • Grease inside of Crock-pot with nonstick cooking spray, (I use the flour, oil kind).
  • Pour batter into prepared the crock.
Looking through the steam of the cover.

  • Cover; cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or until done.
Doesn't look quite done, but the side are very done. Toothpick check, says a few more minutes.

  • Serve plain or with berries sprinkled with powered sugar.
  • Make about 8 servings.
Out of the crock and onto a plate, notice it didn't seem done at the bottom.

All in all, this cake was very moist and good. At first I thought I wouldn't make another cake in the crock-pot and have decided, I will try once more and use the oval crock. The sides were more done than the middle, but the flavor was still a good buttery pound cake. What I did was slice the cake into thirds, so that I had three layers and then took a round biscuit cutter and cut individual rounds. I also cut rounds of strawberry gelatin and put those on top of each little cake, then put on a scoop of fresh whip cream and serve them.
Everyone enjoyed their own little servings. Also next time I think I will only use 1/2 butter.
Enjoy!

No comments: